The more I read about Coconut oil, the more impressed I become with it and its many uses.
Coconut Oil Benefits:
- Anti Bacterial and Anti Microbial- it will aid in fighting off viruses and bacteria.
- Anti Fungal and Anti Viral
- Aides with weight loss by increasing the bodies metabolism and aiding in thyroid functions. By substituting Coconut oil for other oils, individuals end up eating less because of the beneficals fats in Coconut oil naturally make you feel fuller.
- Moisturizes skin and hair. Coconut oil is very rich in Vitamin E, which clears skin blockage and diminishes skin infections such as psoriasis, eczema and acne. It is also effect for moisturizing dry skin and eradicates skin flaking. Coconut oil also helps prevent face wrinkling and prevents skin sagging. It is widely used in soaps, creams and lotions.
- Contains 50% Luaric acid which helps prevent various heart problems including high cholesterol levels and high blood pressure.
- Aides in digestion and helps to prevent various stomach and digestion related problems including irritable bowel syndrome.
- Aides in the absorption of vitamins and minerals in the body.
- Strengthens the immune system by helping to fight off viruses and bacteria causing diseases.
- Facilitates the absorption of calcium and magnesium by the body, which helps with strong teeth and bones. Coconut oil also stops tooth decay.
- Coconut oil helps in controlling blood sugar, and improves the secretion of insulin. It also helps in effective utilization of blood glucose, thereby preventing and treating diabetes.
- Anti Oxidant - protects against free radicals.
- Anti-parasitic - fights to rid the body of lice, tapeworms and other parasites.
- Anti-inflammatory - appears to suppress inflammation and repair tissue. It may also contribute to inhibiting harmful intestinal microorganisms that cause chronic inflammation.
Types of Coconut Oil:
- Virgin (unrefined) coconut oil tastes and smells like coconut and is great for cooking and baking where you want that flavor. Unrefined coconut oil has the most nutritional value and is superior to refined oil.
- Expeller pressed (refined) coconut oil can be used for anything. It does not have a coconut smell or taste. It is still beneficial to use but does lose some of it’s health properties during the refining process.
I have only touched on the amazing benefits of Coconut Oil. Look for my follow up post on the uses of Coconut Oil.
What is your favorite way to use Coconut Oil?