Nutrients in Turmeric:B Vitamins
Vitamin E & K
Curcumin (may have anti-tumor, antioxidant, anti-arthritic, anti-amyloid, anti-ischemic, and anti-inflammatory properties.)
20 Benefits of Turmeric as found at http://www.healthdiaries.com/eatthis/20-health-benefits-of-turmeric.html1. It is a natural antiseptic and antibacterial agent, making it useful in healing and disinfecting wounds, cuts and burns.
2. Speeds up wound healing and assists in remolding damaged skin.
- Cleanse the wound and sprinkle with Turmeric powder and cover with a bandage. Take care not to get it on clothing as it will stain.
4. Prevented breast cancer from spreading to the lungs of mice.
5. May prevent melanoma and cause existing melanoma cells to die.
6. Reduces the risk of childhood leukemia.
7. Is a natural liver detoxifier.
8. May prevent and slow the progression of Alzheimer's disease by removing amyloyd plaque buildup in the brain.
9. May prevent metastases from occurring in many different forms of cancer.
10. It is a potent natural anti-inflammatory that works as well as many anti-inflammatory drugs but without the side effects.
11. Has been shown to slow the progression of multiple sclerosis in mice.
12. It is a natural painkiller and cox-2 inhibitor.
13. May aid in fat metabolism and help with weight management.
- Researchers at Tufts University say that curcumin stalls the spread of fat by inhibiting new blood vessel growth in the fat cells, reducing weight gain. The curcumin (active ingredient in Turmeric) appeared to reduce the spread of these fat cells.
Read more: Turmeric & Weight Loss | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/about_5438028_turmeric-weight-loss.html#ixzz2M0pY2oSb
15. It is a anti-inflammatory make it a natural treatment for arthritis and rheumatoid arthritis.
16. Boosts the effects of chemo drug paclitaxel and reduces its side effects.
17. May have an effect on pancreatic cancer.
18. Studies are ongoing in the positive effects of turmeric on multiple myeloma.
19. Has been shown to stop the growth of new blood vessels in tumors.
20. May help in treatment of psoriasis and other inflammatory skin conditions.
Turmeric can be taken in powder or pill form. Alison's Pantry is a great place to buy Turmeric in the powder form.
Contraindications: Turmeric should not be used by people with gallstones or bile obstruction. Though turmeric is often used by pregnant women, it is important to consult with a doctor before doing so as turmeric can be a uterine stimulant.